Friday, October 15, 2010

"...in sickness and in health, until death do us part..."

My mom and dad would've been married 33 years, today.   It's an exceptionally hard day for me so I can't even imagine what it must be like for my mom.  It's funny how, as a child, you don't think much of your parents' marriage or their anniversary.  I would always call each one on this day and say Happy Anniversary.  Sometimes, we'd even go to dinner as a family.  Children, don't let your parents' anniversary pass by every year without giving some thought to it.  It might be the last one they celebrate together. 

I cried myself to sleep again last night.  It's getting a little old, but I can't help it.  Every time I lay my head down, all I can see is my dad's face.  I see him dying (of all things), or him walking in pain in the weeks leading up to his diagnosis.  I think about our trip to OC...how he crawled up the stairs.  It makes me feel awful.  I doubt I can ever go back to that place again. 

This picture was taken on July 4th....two weeks before he entered Georgetown.  We had no idea, and it kills me....

I will cherish this picture, always.



On a little happier note, we were visited by Santa's reindeer in our back yard this morning.   My little early birds awoke at 7 am, and before my husband left, I heard, "Oh Gracen....guess who came to see us this morning?!"  (Ugh, your parents...this early?  Noooooooooooo)  Anyway, two beautiful deer were in our back yard.  The excitement on my daughter's face rivaled that of Christmas morning.  Oh how I love the innocence!  Gracen also exclaimed to me that she would like to go to Santa's workshop and see his toys and elves.  Love it!

It's lunch time around the A's house.  Parker has eaten his bananas and mixed berries and is patiently awaiting his bottle.  Gracen had her "picmic" on the floor with turkey, crackers, and cucumbers....her favorite!  Tonight it's off to dinner with mom and the fam to celebrate her anniversary.  Gonna be a long afternoon until these kiddos go to bed!  Maybe I'll have more to write then. :) 

No comments: